The Session Long Project entails you going through the process of influencing policymakers. Review the Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council Advocacy Toolbox () . Read the Writing to government officials or lobbyists () and the Opposing a Proposal and the Supporting a Proposal sample letters. Additionally, read Changing public opinion for this assignment.
- identify the level you wish to address your letter (local, state, or national). NOTE: Your letter will serve as your script for a 60-second video (Think Tik-Tok-style video).
- For this SLP assignment, choose whether you will be writing on opposing a proposal or supporting a proposal.
- Choose three key elements from Changing public opinion page and discuss how these elements relate to influencing policymakers.
- Discuss the role of collaboration in health communication and advocacy.
Write a one-page letter/script for your 60-second video, that encompasses the information from the above 3 bullets (on opposing a proposal or supporting a proposal).
Note: The first two pages must address items 1-4 above. The third page is a one-page letter on opposing a proposal or supporting a proposal and encompasses the information from your required readings plus a link to your 60-second video where you present the contents of your letter in a persuasive way.
Length: 3 pages (excluding the cover page and the reference list)
To record the video, you may use your computers webcam or your phone, upload the file into Google Drive, and share the link in the assignment submission. If you use your computer webcam, you can record using a free version of Zoom or YouTube (please make sure the link is not set as private) or record onto your computer directly and upload to Google Drive, then share the link. Here are some tips for recording with your phone:
For those using phones, consider the following:
- Add light to your face. More light from the front is best. Consider standing/sitting facing a window or a desk lamp.
- Place the camera on a steady surface. Holding it produces a minor shake. When viewed, the shake is magnified. Place your phone sideways (landscape).
- Be aware of (and reduce) background noise. This includes turning off fans and air conditioners, or closing windows if there is a chance of outdoor noises such as traffic/lawn mowers.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Assessment and Grading: Your paper will be assessed based on the performance assessment rubric. Review the rubric before you begin working on the assignment. Your work should also follow these .