This assessment provides an opportunity to review various end-of-life concepts including preservation of life with limits, euthanasia, advance directives, futility of treatment, withholding and withdrawal of treatment, and do-not-resuscitate orders.
- Read Chapter 17 in the Pozgar textbook
- Review the website regarding .
- As you read, apply information in Chapter 17 of the textbook to the following case study:
A comatose patient had formerly expressed a desire to have her respirator turned off if she ever required one. Her parents do not want to turn it off, but her husband does. The parents present their arguments to the administrator, chief of the medical staff, and director of nursing.
- Answer the following questions in a 2-3 page response:
- What are the legal facts of the case?
- What is the ethical dilemma?
- What standard of care is required?
- What are the risks to the healthcare organization if turning off the respirator? If not turning off the respirator?
- What options does the healthcare organization have to resolve this dilemma?
- What precautions should healthcare organizations take to prevent this type of ethical dilemma in the future?
- It is not necessary to apply a formatting style for this assignment except when using a source to support your