Using the book attached:
Students are expected to write a review of Sam Smith’s Hard Labor: The Battle That Birthed the Billion-Dollar NBA.
What should the review consist of? Above all, a strong review makes an argument about the text. Your review should serve as a commentary, not merely a summary. In your review you can offer agreement or disagreement and identify where you find the work exemplary or deficient in its knowledge, judgments, or organization. You should clearly state your opinion (ie/ a thesis or an argument) of the work in question, which will resemble other types of academic writing, with a thesis statement, supporting body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
The review should tackle the following questions:
- What is the thesis—or main argument—of the book? If the author wanted you to get one idea from the book, what would it be?
- What exactly is the subject or topic of the book?
- How does the author support her argument? What evidence does she use to prove her point? Do you find that evidence convincing? Why or why not? Does any of the author’s information (or conclusions) conflict previous assumptions you had of the subject?
- How does the author structure their argument? Does the argument make sense? Does it persuade you? Why or why not?
- How has this book helped you understand the subject? Would you recommend the book to your reader?
Your review should be approximately 4 pages in length,