This assessment provides an opportunity for you to explore and learn more about the purpose of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and how it affects hospital and physician practices. HIPAA requires the establishment of national standards for electronic healthcare transactions and national identifiers for providers, health insurance plans, and employers. HIPAA provisions also address the privacy and security of health information.
- Read Chapter 13 in the Pozgar textbook. Pages 345-348 are especially critical.
- Review the .
- Write a 3-5 page paper outlining the major provisions of the HIPAA 2003 law. Ensure the following points are included:
- Include a review of the advantages and disadvantages of electronic medical records.
- Include an additional three scholarly sources that support your writing in addition to the textbook and other non-textbook sources.
- Use the rubric below to guide your efforts and apply APA formatting.